Call for Papers – 2019 Lincoln Conference
Theme: Pioneers on the Prairie
The Czechoslovak Genealogical Society International (CGSI) will hold its 17th Genealogical and Cultural Conference at the Marriott Cornhusker Hotel in Lincoln, NE, Wednesday October 15 – Saturday October 19, 2019.
Topics appropriate to this conference are numerous. Shown below is a list of potential subject matter:
• Computers in Genealogy (family tree programs, family web sites, etc.)
• Genealogy (Beginning, ethnic specific, US, European, traditional, on-line)
• History of ethnic settlements, religious groups, churches, free-thinkers, fraternal organizations
• Immigration history, Emigration history (push-pull factors), Military history
• Austro-Hungarian Empire history, 20th century history, prehistoric history
• Language (conversational, meanings / origins of surnames and place names, script reading)
• Folk art, Architecture, Folk music, Folklore, Folk dance (lecture or hands-on training)
• Modes of Transportation (in homeland, passenger ships, trains, steam boats, etc.)
• Ethnic press, newspapers, periodicals, newsletters (Hospodář, Bratrský Věstník, Hlas, Amerikán Národní Kalendář, etc.)
• Famous personalities (Jan Rosický, Rose Rosický, Willa Cather, Margie Sobotka, Vladimir Kucera)
• Research institutions, Collections, museums (Clarkson Museum, Wilber Museum, Czech and Slovak Educational Center and Museum – Omaha, National Willa Cather Center, Red Cloud, NE)
• Land (Homestead Act, Land Agents, Title Searches)
• DNA studies
• Traditions (cooking, baking, holidays, life-cycle, etc.)
The information required from speaker candidates includes: a title, a half to one-page summary for each presentation, and a speaker bio of no more than one page. We encourage speaker candidates located outside of the Lincoln / Omaha metropolitan district to submit more than one paper, because of the costs of travel and lodging to bring in speakers to give only one presentation.
Speakers selected for the conference will receive a complimentary admission that includes Thursday, Friday, and Saturday lunches, syllabus, and a free vendor table. A travel allowance of 35 cents per mile or airfare, whichever is less, and lodging at the Marriott Cornhusker hotel will be provided to out of area speakers for three or more days based on their individual speaking schedule. CGSI will ask speakers for permission to record their presentation(s) so that we can share some or all of the presentation on the Members Only section of our website.
If you require a speaking honorarium, please clearly state your requirements. The CGSI puts on a very high quality program, while attempting to maintain a reasonable registration rate for the public. A request for honoraria may impact a candidate’s selection.
If you have an interest in speaking or know someone who would be an appropriate speaker in Lincoln, please forward this information to them or contact Paul Makousky, Conference Chair at: email@example.com or by US mail at 8582 Timberwood Road, Woodbury, MN 55125-7620. A copy of this Call for Papers will also be posted on the CGSI website at: www.cgsi.org
Submissions are due by May 25, 2018 and shall be mailed or e-mailed to Paul Makousky at the address above. Selections will be made by August of 2018. (Yes, 14 months prior to the Conference!)