Call for Papers - 2021 Milwaukee Conference
The Czechoslovak Genealogical Society International (CGSI) will hold its 18th Genealogical and Cultural Conference at the Crowne Plaza Milwaukee Airport Hotel in Milwaukee, Wisconsin from Tuesday, October 12 through Saturday, October 16, 2021.
Topics appropriate to this conference are numerous. Shown below is a list of potential subject matter:
• Computers in Genealogy (family tree programs, family web sites, etc.)
• Genealogy (Beginning, ethnic specific, US, European, traditional, on-line)
• History of ethnic settlements, religious groups, churches, free-thinkers, fraternal organizations
• Immigration history, Emigration history (push-pull factors), Military history
• Austro-Hungarian Empire history, 20th century history, prehistoric history
• Language (conversational, meanings / origins of surnames and place names, script reading)
• Folk art, Architecture, Folk music, Folklore, Folk dance (lecture or hands-on training)
• Modes of Transportation (in homeland, passenger ships, trains, steam boats, etc.)
• Ethnic press, newspapers, periodicals, newsletters (Milwaukee Flügblatter, Slowan amerikansky, Slavie, Kewaunské Listy, Hospodář, Bratrský Věstník, Hlas, Amerikán Národní Kalendář, etc.)
• Famous personalities in Milwaukee and Racine areas (Karel Jonas, Vojtěch (Vojta) Náprstek, František Kořízek, Matěj Zika (later known as Martin Matthias Secor)
• Research institutions, Collections, museums (Wisconsin State Genealogical Society, Milwaukee County Historical Society, Racine County Historical Society, Wisconsin Slovak Historical Society, Sokol Milwaukee Genealogy Interest Group)
• Geography (American Geographical Society Library at UW-Milwaukee)
• Land (Homestead Act, Land Agents, Title Searches)
• DNA studies
• Traditions (cooking, baking, holidays, life-cycle, etc.)
The information required from speaker candidates includes:
• a presentation title
• a half to one-page summary for each presentation
• a speaker bio of no more than one page
We encourage speaker candidates located outside of the Milwaukee metropolitan area to submit more than one paper, due to the costs of travel and lodging of bringing in speakers to give only one presentation.
Speakers selected for the conference will receive a complimentary admission that includes Thursday, Friday, and Saturday lunches, syllabus, and a free vendor table. A travel allowance (currently at 36 cents per mile or airfare, whichever is less) and lodging at the Crowne Plaza hotel will be provided to out of area speakers for three or more days based on their individual speaking schedule. CGSI will ask speakers for permission to record their presentation(s) so that we can share some or all of the presentation on the Members Only section of our website.
If you require a speaking honorarium, please clearly state your requirements. CGSI puts on a very high quality program, while attempting to maintain a reasonable registration rate for the public. A request for honoraria may impact a candidate’s selection.
If you have an interest in speaking or know someone who would be an appropriate speaker in Milwaukee, please forward this information to them or contact Paul Makousky, Conference Chair at: firstname.lastname@example.org or by US mail at 8582 Timberwood Road, Woodbury, MN 55125-7620.
Submissions are due by May 16, 2020, and should be mailed or e-mailed to Paul Makousky at the address above. Selections will be made by August of 2020. (Yes, 14 months prior to the Conference!)